Beard wax and mustache wax are both styling products that can be used to tame and style facial hair. However, there are some differences between the two products and we will break it down below.
is typically made with a mixture of carrier oils and wax. This makes it effective at holding thicker beards in place, but also provide nourishment to the beard hair itself as well provide a more natural look and a lighter hold.
is typically made with a higher amount of wax than beard wax. Typically containing a higher amount of wax in the product, such as beeswax this will make it more shiny, heavier and stiffer to the touch when applied.
What type of wax is right for me?
The decision as to what type of wax would be right for you, will depend on a few factors.
If you are trying to style your mustache into a a design, such as the handlebar, then you will need a strong holding wax. This type of style would do better with a mustache wax over the beard type of wax.
If you are just looking for help to tame flyaway or to get a cowlick or swirl to lay flat, then the lighter holding beard type of wax would be better suited for you, as it will provide you some hold to help with styling but not make it look stiff or unnatural.
We offer a combination wax which will work great for both beards and mustaches. We use 3 ingredients to create our wax.
- Beeswax – our beeswax is organic and provided to us from a local Utah beekeeper who harvests honey and offers bee keeping kits. Beeswax provides the hold and tackiness needed to help style and hold.
- Lanolin Oil – We use lanolin oil because it provides some hold but also provide moisture to the facial hair.
- Sunflower Seed Oil – We use sunflower seed oil in our wax product in order to help lock in moisture to the hair to avoid breakage that can happen with other wax products that focus solely on stiff holds.
Our product is labeled as a medium hold, which means it will help with style and hold but will not be stiff and have a more natural feel and look
No matter which type of wax you choose, here is some tips on how to use the wax.
How to use facial hair wax:
- Use a small amount of wax. A little goes a long way.
- Apply the wax to dry hair.
- Comb the wax through your beard or mustache.
- Use your fingers to style your beard or mustache.
- Work in small sections.