There are a lot of product options out there geared towards grooming and taking care of your beard. Beard oil, beard wash, beard balm, and mustache wax are some of the most well-known products, but there is a new one out there, and it’s called beard butter. So let’s dive into what this product is, how to use it, and why you should use it.
What it is:
It differs from beard oil because this product is developed more for the actual beard hair and not the skin underneath, like beard oil is. It’s been developed to help soften and condition the actual beard hair, and here is how it works.
Consider it a jar-sized army of specialized experts. These professionals work to coat and penetrate the beard’s hair and feed it with a variety of nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids from it’s natural ingredients, like shea butter.
What is beard butter made of:
As mentioned above, quality beard butter is made up of ingredients that provide a variety of nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids. That can be achieved through the use of natural ingredients, such as:
- Shea butter is an awesome ingredient because it provides moisture to beard hair due to its fatty acid profile. A quality beard butter will feature shea butter as one of its top ingredients.
- Mango butter is another awesome ingredient. Mango butter helps seal in the moisture that the shea butter provides as well as help strengthen the actual beard hair by strengthening it internally.
- Cocoa butter acts as a lubricant for the beard hair. It will deeply penetrate and restore damaged or dried beard hair, bringing it back to life and making it healthier and fuller.
After those 3 ingredients, a great product will also add in natural carrier oils to help round out the experience.
The consistency of this product is silky, soft, and creamy. It get’s its name from the butter ingredients inside of it, but also because it resembles and has a similar consistency to the butter that sits on your countertop at home.
When should I use it?
Daily. It works hand in hand with beard oil to provide a well-nourished beard from root to tip. Because beard oil is geared more towards the skin, we recommend applying beard oil first and giving it time to absorb into the skin before applying beard butter to the hair.
Another great opportunity to use this product is at night. When you sleep, you aren’t drinking water and staying hydrated. So your body will begin to pull moisture from your skin and beard to stay hydrated. Adding it to your beard at night will help coat the beard with moisturizing properties so it doesn’t dry out at night. This will give you a softer-feeling beard in the morning instead of a crunchy, dry-feeling one.
Why use beard butter?
As we have shared, the biggest pro of beard butter is its dedication to the actual health of beard hair itself. The longer the beard hair grows in length, the harder it is for the entire beard hair to receive moisture from the skin alone. When that happens, damage can occur to the tip of the beard hair, like split ends or, even worse, breakage of the actual beard hair. So much like conditioner works on longer head hair, beard butter does the same for your beard. It will keep it well moisturized so it doesn’t start to break at the tip or split end due to dryness.
How to use beard butter:
Now that you know the reason why you should use it, we are going to share how to use it.
- First, make sure the beard is damp. If you are using it after beard oil, then there is no need to apply water to the beard. But if you are applying before bed, we recommend slightly dampening the beard so that the product can trap in that additional moisture while also making it easier to spread.
- Second, scoop out a dime-sized amount. A little goes a long way with this product.
- Third, put that dime size amount into the palms of your hands and rub your hands together to start softening it.
- Fourth, once softened apply and coat the beard hair with the product by running the palms of your hands across the beard.
- Last step, take a comb or brush and use it to help spread and evenly distribute the butter.
Ready to try it!?
Now that you have been aware of all the benefits of this product for your beard and are ready to give it a shot,
Remember, a well-groomed beard is a reflection of your unique style! So, why wait? Secure your jar of beard butter and start on the journey towards a healthy, stronger, and softer beard today.